Consumption and resources
Part 1 : Trend in consumer issues and consumer's attitude / behavior
Chapter 2 : [Feature] Responsibility to create, responsibility to use, and responsibility to reduce - Reduction of food loss and waste for sustainable society -
Section 1 : Consumption and resources
Resources and consumptions from the aspect of daily living
- Social issues, such as resources and environmental issues, are one of the top priority among consumer policies.
- Generation of general waste had been increasing until around 2000, but it has been reducing in recent years. Approximately 900g of waste per person per day is generated.
- Approximately 40% of combustible garbage discharged by households is food waste(city of Kyoto, Kyoto prefecture).
Awareness toward resource/environmental issues
- Consumers' interests are especially high toward food disposal and plastic containers and packaging compared to clothing, waste paper, bottles, cans, etc.
- It is necessary for consumers, business operators, administrations, etc. to cooperate/collaborate and work on these issues as a social problem.
[Food loss and waste reduction]
- October, 2019
Enforcement of the "Act on Promotion of Food Loss and Waste Reduction"
Promotion of food loss and waste reduction as a national movement
- March, 2020
Cabinet decision on the "Basic Policy of Food Loss and Waste Reduction Promotion"
[Plastic waste reduction]
- May, 2019
Formulation of the "Resource Circulation Strategy for Plastics"
- June, 2019
In the G20 Osaka Leaders' Declaration
"Osaka Blue Ocean Vision*" was shared.
*Declaration to reduce additional pollution made by marine plastic litter to zero by 2050.