Whistleblower Protection and Consumer-Business Partnerships
Whistleblower Protection System
In quite a number of instances, a case of corporate misconduct that compromises consumer safety and interests comes into the open by a report from someone working for them.
The whistleblower protection system is a means to protect whistleblowers so that they should not be subjected to dismissal, demotion or other disadvantageous treatment on the grounds that they report the case and also set forth things like what measures should be taken by businesses in relation to whistleblowing, which aims that laws and regulations associated with consumer safety and interests should be adhered to.
The Consumer Affairs Agency has developed and released to the public a handbook that describes the system and guidelines and other information that can be helpful for businesses and administrative organs to establish and administer a pertinent structure.
The CAA has also set up the "Whistleblower Protection System Consultation Dial" as a point of contact for consultation about the system and has also made various materials available on its Whistleblower Protection System Webpage.
To Administrative Organs
Whistleblower Protection System Consultation Dial(Available in Japanese only)
Phone: +81-3-3507-9262 (from 9:30 to12:30 and from 13:30 to17:30 on weekdays)
Whistleblower Protection System Links
- Whistleblower Protection System Webpage "Available in Japanese only"
- Whistleblower Protection Act(Act No.122 of 2004)
- Guidelines for Private Enterprises Regarding the Development and Operation of Internal Reporting Systems Based on the Whistleblower Protection Act
- Guidelines for National Administrative Organs' Handling of Reports Based on the Whistleblower Protection Act (Reports from Internal Personnel and Others)
- Guidelines for National Administrative Organs' Handling of Reports Based on the Whistleblower Protection Act (Reports from External Workers and Others)
- Guidelines for Local Governments' Handling of Reports Based on the Whistleblower Protection Act (Reports from Internal Personnel and Others)
- Guidelines for Local Governments' Handling of Reports Based on the Whistleblower Protection Act (Reports from External Workers and Others)
- Partially Amending the Whistleblower Protection Act (Act No. 51 of 2020) [PDF:79KB]
Checking commodity price movements
Public utility pricing policy
When public utility charges are to be revised, the Consumer Affairs Agency engages in discussions with governing ministries and agencies for protecting consumer benefits. In the event of any important decision on or revision of public utility charges, the CAA takes more rigorous stand by submitting the matter to a relevant ministerial meeting.
Commodity price monitor survey
In order to keep track of price movements of commodity goods and services (25 items), consumer awareness to commodity price movements and consumption accurately and promptly, the Consumer Affairs Agency conducts a commodity price monitor survey once a month by 2,000 respondents who are located nationwide.
Promotion of consumer-oriented management
In order to realize a sustainable, better society, it is necessary to cooperate and work with consumers and businesses as well as administrative bodies. Based on the belief that consumer-oriented business activities (i.e. consumer-oriented management) of businesses lead to a sound market, the Consumer Affairs Agency promotes consumer-oriented management in businesses.
The CAA has established the consumer-oriented management promotion organization "Platform" which consists of business organizations and consumer organizations. Promotional activities such as "voluntary declaration of consumer-orientation and follow-up activities" are developed nationwide.
The "voluntary declaration of consumer-orientation and follow-up activities" are activities of businesses in which they voluntarily declare and publicly announce that they will conduct consumer-oriented management, take actions based on the declaration, and follow up on and publicly announce the results.