Promotion of consumer education
Part 1 : Today's consumer issues and consumers' behavior/attitude
Chapter 5 : Development of consumer policy
Section 3 : Promotion of consumer education
Discussions on issues to be addressed were held to further promote consumer education, following the decision of "Basic Policy on Promotion of Consumer Education"
- The Cabinet decided the "Basic Policy on Promotion of Consumer Education" on June 28, 2013, which was established in accordance with Article 9 of the Act on Promotion of Consumer Education. The "issues to be addressed" set forth in the annex of the Basic Policy have been discussed by three subcommittees formed under the Consumer Education Promotion Council: the Consumer Citizenship Development Subcommittee, the Information Utilization Enhancement Subcommittee, and the Regional Collaboration Promotion Subcommittee. The results of discussions on all the issues are expected to be summarized by February 2015.
- The Consumer Citizenship Development Subcommittee, for example, is discussing ways to collect/organize practical examples of consumer education and to effectively use them, with the goal of establishing and spreading consumer education programs helpful for consumers to independently resolve their problems by themselves. The Regional Collaboration Promotion Subcommittee is specifically considering how local consumer affairs centers can be turned into local bases for consumer education.
Practical example of consumer education
- Recycling-based eco-friendly activities using Eco-Tickets (environmental currency) -
Kawaguchi City Totsuka-Minami Elementary School,
- In this project, a mechanism was created through which pupils can obtain Eco-Tickets by participating in eco-friendly activities. The pupils take the initiative in planning and organizing Eco-Markets, which were initially called for by teachers to provide opportunity to use Eco-Tickets.
- While independently acting and resolving problems, pupils are learning the different roles that consumers and businesses should play in environmental protection.
Example of a local consumer affairs center serving as the base for consumer education
Kobe Consumer Education Center
- The Kobe Consumer Education Center, established on July 23, 2012 within the Kobe City Life Information Center, provides information on fraudulent schemes and product accidents, as well as materials for consumer education.
- Designed to serve as a hands-on learning center for consumers, this facility allows visitors to watch the latest information on consumer life on a large screen and digital signage, along with wide-ranging displays focusing on specific themes. Guided tours and small lectures are available as well.