Results of information gathering and analysis on consumer accidents reported to the Consumer Affairs Agency
Part 1 : Trend in consumer issues and consumer's attitude / behavior
Chapter 1 : Results of information gathering and analysis on consumer accidents
Section 1 : Results of information gathering and analysis on consumer accidents reported to the Consumer Affairs Agency
[Report to the Diet based on the Consumer Safety Act]
Results of information gathered and analyzed on consumer accidents
- The number of consumer accidents reported to the Consumer Affairs Agency in FY2019 was 11,944. The breakdown is 2,632 life or health-related accidents and 9,312 property-related cases.
- We raised awareness at the earlier stage of serious accidents notification from relevant administrative organ, such as the storage door of the baby crib suddenly opened and caused baby's suffocation, etc.
- Among life or health-related accidents, about 80% of serious injuries were caused by "fire".
Awareness raising triggered by serious injuries
While they were using a wooden crib which has a height-adjustable bottom board and a storage space underneath with a door, the storage door suddenly opened and a baby's head was caught in a gap. The serious incident occurred twice: one baby was choked to death and another baby became seriously ill (notifications from relevant administrative organ).
- We raised awareness for 13 cases, in which we disclosed the names of business operators based on the property-related cases notified under the provisions of the Consumer Safety Act.
- Main cases are tactics for raising temptation to make easy money, ticket resale websites, etc.