Formation of a society in which consumers can make a choice and take action by themselves | Summary -Part 2 Chapter 1, Section 5-
Part 2 : Implementation of consumer policy
Chapter 1 : Major consumer policy at the Consumer Affairs Agency
Section 5 : Formation of a society in which consumers can make a choice and take action by themselves
Promotion of "ethical consumption."
- While being aware of the social costs such as burdens and impacts on society and the environment, and the security and sustainability of fairness within and between generations, it is important to actively choose products and services that are manufactured using an environmentally and socially friendly process and distribution method, as well as building interest in ethical consumption, consumption behavior that takes post-consumption disposal into consideration.
- Because it is important that the consumers themselves are aware of ethical consumption and take actions voluntarily, we will continue to promote the significance and necessity of ethical consumption together with the government and the private sector.
Promotion of consumer-oriented management.
- In order to promote widespread consumer-oriented management, the consumer-oriented management promotion organization "Platform" was established in October 2016. The platform consists of business associations, consumer groups, the Consumer Affairs Agency and other administrative bodies. Promotional activities such as "voluntary declaration of consumer-orientation and follow-up activities" are developed nationwide.
- A list of businesses that voluntarily chose to become consumer-oriented companies and each business's voluntary declaration can be seen on the promotion organization's web page via Consumer Affairs Agency website.
- In the future, we will consider the announcement and awarding of excellent examples of companies participating in "voluntary declaration of consumer-orientation and follow-up activities."
Improving effectiveness of whistleblower protection system.
- Although some results have been seen after the enforcement of the Whistleblower Protection Act in April 2006, even in recent years there have been scandals in which a company's internal reporting system does not function and inappropriate actions were taken in administrative bodies, in this context, improving the effectiveness of the whistleblower protection system is an important issue.
- From June 2015, a "conference for improving the effectiveness of the whistleblower protection system" was held. The first report was published in March 2016, and the final report was compiled in December of the same year.
- Based on the first report, in December 2016, the guidelines for business operators were significantly revised and expanded.
- In March 2017, guidelines for the national administrative bodies were amended and announced.
- In the future, we will promote measures such as introducing a system to evaluate and certify private businesses that establish and operate highly effective internal reporting systems.