Establishment of frameworks for consumer relief system and protecting their interests | Summary -Part 1 Chapter 4, Section 6-
Part 1 : Today's consumer issues and consumers' behavior/attitude
Chapter 4 : Development of consumer policy
Section 6 : Establishment of frameworks for consumer relief system and protecting their interests
Enforcement of the Act on Special Measures Concerning Civil Court Proceedings for the Collective Redress for Property Damage Incurred by Consumers
- The Act on Special Measures Concerning Civil Court Proceedings for the Collective Redress for Property Damage Incurred by Consumers will come into effect (October 1, 2016) to assist the collective recovery of the damages that commonly occurred to a considerable number of consumers.
- A Specified Qualified Consumer Organization (see Note) will act as the plaintiff to proceed with the two-stage litigation system.
- (Note)Specified Qualified Consumer Organizations are qualified consumer organizations (14 organizations as of April 2016)
certified by the Prime Minister as those capable of proper performance on the court proceedings for consumer damage recovery.
Work of Cross-border Consumer Center Japan and its overseas collaborations
- Cross-border Consumer Center Japan (CCJ) is implementing measures to assist in solving problems between the consumers in Japan and businesses outside Japan, and the consumers outside Japan and businesses in Japan.
- CCJ, which is responsible for consultations on cross-border trade, was transferred from CAA to the National Consumer Affairs Center of Japan in FY2015 and constantly responds to consultations.
- There were 4,299 cases of consultations on cross-border trade in FY2015 and this was an increase of 231 cases compared with the previous fiscal year.
- CAA is increasing the number of overseas organizations with which CCJ works and is strengthening ties between CCJ and them and in FY 2015, CCJ's affiliated overseas organizations have increased to 8.